Tuesday, January 20, 2015

I never thought I would see the Grand Canyon


One of the natural wonders of the world 
It is the third largest canyon in the world
Its base is about 1/3 of the Earth's age 

Scientist's take an educated guess that it took 3- 6 million years to form 
At 446km long it is thought to be carved by the Colorado River 
3028 million litres of water flow through it every year

It is 548m wide at its narrowest and 29km at its widest
On average its only 16km from rim to rim
It is essentially tilted with the Northern Rim being higher than the Southern Rim. 

But beyond all of these facts the Grand Canyon when standing looking out over it 
stretches out so far that even the imagination wonders if it realises how big it really is 
or how many mysteries these rocks capturing a timeline of the Earth's history could be holding

Some times it is hard to believe that you are doing things that you only ever dreamt about doing. I never thought I would see the Grand Canyon. It was just one of the many places and things on my bucket list, but not only have I biked along parts of the rim of the Grand Canyon but I even did a helicopter ride over it.

It was one of the ME Time Optionals on the Contiki Holidays tour that I did and it was the one that I was most looking forward too.  It did not disappoint! I was blown away by its sheer size, colour and ability to appear barren when in fact on the base it is very much alive.






I got to sit on the edge and look out over a natural wonder of this world. I even had to pinch myself to make sure it was real. Just goes to show sometimes you do get to do the things you never thought you would. 



No comments:

Post a Comment